Mattresses are hard to get rid of responsibly. They are bulky and don’t compact well, practically not recyclable.
So what’s the best way to get rid of your mattress you no longer need? Here are a few ways that we think it’s best:
- Sell it on Trademe: This is obvious. If you have maintained it pretty well, you can most likely sell it on Trademe. Don’t want to pay listing fee? Use 4tradeit instead! No fee, no problem, though less traffic there so may take a while before someone takes it.
- Give it to Salvation Army Family Stores: Salvation Army have 24 family stores located in Auckland. They are great way to not only getting rid of useful things you don’t like, it also helps keep their organisation running. Win Win situation here!
- Break it down yourself: If you have the time, energy and tools, you can easily break a mattress down yourself. Simply follow these steps:
- Cut around the perimeter of the fabric covering and peel the cloth and foam away from the box springs and wooden frame.
- Roll these materials into a compact bundle and put them in your regular trash can.
- Take a saw and cut up the frame, which you can then burn or turn into wood chips.
- Take the box springs to a recycling centre or sell them for scrap.
And that’s it! 3 best ways to get rid of your mattress. If you need help moving the mattress, please don’t hesitate to get in touch us. You can booking your move here or call us on +64 9 9518705.